Juvéderm® XC & Restylane®
Dermatologist Dr. Brian Dubow is a highly experienced injector of both Juvéderm XC and Restylane.
Dr. Dubow Dermatology is one of the most trusted and experienced practices in Los Angeles for the injection of the hyaluronic acid fillers Juvéderm XC and Restylane. He takes great pride in providing his patients with a natural rejuvenated look and avoiding an overdone, plastic or expressionless appearance.
Juvéderm® XC and Restylane® are the two most popular hyaluronic acid fillers approved by the FDA. They are both a gel filler used to smooth away wrinkles around your nose and mouth. Both Juvéderm XC and Restylane are derived from a natural substance that is found within your body, therefore eliminating any sensitivity issues.
Facial wrinkles and creases begin to appear in your lips and skin as the underlying collagen and elastin fibers begin to break down and wear out. Juvéderm XC or Restylane can be used to counteract these aging effects. Dr. Dubow can use Juvéderm XC or Restylane to treat problems such as:
- Smile lines (nasolabial folds)
- Jowls (marionette lines)
- Vertical lines above the lip
- Cheek definition
- Nose shaping
- Lip border and volume
- Under eye circles, tear troughs
- Chin lines (mental crease)
- Facial symmetry
How are Juvéderm® XC & Restylane® administered?
Juvéderm XC and Restylane treatments are quick and simple. They are both injected into the skin to create volume, resulting in a healthy and rejuvenated appearance. The treatment helps to ‘fill out’ and smooth away wrinkles and lines, and when injected into the lip can restore a more natural and sensuous look. Results are immediate and yield minimal recovery time.
How long do Juvéderm® XC & Restylane® last?
While the effects of Juvéderm XC and Restylane vary from patient to patient, most experience results for ~9 months. Once the effects wear off, you can repeat the Juvéderm XC or Restylane treatment as necessary.
How much do Juvéderm® XC & Restylane® cost?
Call our office to schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Dubow. We will assess your personal needs and let you know how much your Juvederm or Restylane treatment will cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will everyone know I’ve had work done?
Rest assured, a natural looking result is our #1 priority!
How do Juvéderm® XC and Restylane® work?
Juvéderm XC and Restylane are made of hyaluronic acid, which adds volume to facial tissue.
How is a Restylane®/Juvéderm® XC procedure performed?
Juvéderm XC/Restylane will be injected directly into your skin in tiny amounts using an ultra fine needle. The procedure is simple and quick, and will be performed by Dr Dubow. This diagram shows how the fillers will actually fill in the depressions in your skin and smooth out the skin’s surface, resulting in the appearance of a more youthful complexion.
Click to view a larger image
How many treatments are recommended for optimal results?
Treatments vary from patient to patient, depending on your particular needs. On average patients need about 3 treatment sessions, each 4 weeks apart.
How much social downtime is required?
You may have swelling, numbness and redness for a few hours following the procedure, but can go back to work as soon as you feel comfortable with the way you look.
Do Juvéderm® XC and Restylane® injections hurt?
Topical anesthesia may be applied before the procedure to minimize discomfort, but this is usually not necessary as the treatment is almost painless. We also mix every filler with a numbing agent to further ensure your comfort throughout the procedure.
What side-effects can I expect and how long will they last?
As with most injectables, common side effects include localized pain, tenderness, inflammation, redness, itching, bruising and/or swelling. These are normal side-effects from the result of an injection and will disappear within a few days. However, most of our patients experience absolutely no side effects.
When will I start seeing results?
You will be able to see the full results of your treatment immediately after the procedure. However, you may have some swelling giving your face a more volumized appearance, but within a few days the swelling will go down and you will be able to see the full results.
Can I use Restylane®/Juvéderm® XC with BOTOX®?
Yes, and in many cases Dr. Dubow will recommend this combination wrinkle fighting technique. By preventing extreme muscle movement, Botox helps Juvéderm XC/Restylane last longer. It’s a synergistic effect that seems to prolong the positive effects of both. Read real stories from other patients here and here.
For more information, check out our Botox.
Pre-Treatment Guidelines for Juvéderm® XC & Restylane®
To reduce the chance of bruising, avoid the following for 7 days before treatment:
- Pain Relievers (Tylenol okay)
- Coumadin (get primary physician approval first)
- Fish oil
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Vitamin E
- Exotic or Herbal Supplements
Have you ever had a cold sore? If so, please call our office and we will write you a prescription for Valtrex (an anti-viral).
Post-Treatment Guidelines for Juvéderm® XC & Restylane®
The intensity and duration of your side effects depends on the aggressiveness of your treatment and your individual healing characteristics, but can last up to a week after treatment. Side effects can include:
Swelling - You will notice most of the swelling the first morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts 2 to 3 days. To minimize swelling:
- Apply a cold compress to the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour.
- Sleep with your head elevated the first night. Use as many pillows as you can tolerate.
- Take Arnica Montana and/or Bromelain supplements, which can be found at your local pharmacy or herbal supplement store.
- The initial swelling after treatment to the lips may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for up to a week and the lips can look somewhat ‘uneven’ during this time. After the swelling has subsided, you will be able to see your results.
Redness - You may apply makeup immediately after treatment to minimize the redness.
Tenderness/Pain - You may take Tylenol, if necessary.
After Treatment Skin Care
- Avoid Excessive Sun and Heat: Until any initial swelling and redness has resolved. This includes aggressive exercise.
- Avoid squeezing or massaging the treated areas for several hours after treatment, as this may subtly change the shape we are trying to achieve.
- Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is always important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.